- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 56
- Start to Finish: less than 30 minutes
- 71mg Sodium
- 13g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 7g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 2.5g Protein
- 30mg Calcium
- 0mg Iron
- 3 tablespoons flaxseed meal
- 1 stick (4 ounces) unsalted butter, sliced
- 1 packed cup brown sugar, clumps broken up
- 1/2 cup granulated raw sugar (evaporated cane juice)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups unsweetened almond butter
- 2 1/4 cups unbleached white whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teasoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 1/2 cups dark chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line two large sheet pans with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
2. In a small bowl, stir together flaxseed meal and 1/2 cup water. In an electric mixer fitted with a paddle, beat butter, sugars, and vanilla on medium speed until smooth and slightly fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add flaxseed slurry, almond butter, and 1/4 cup water and beat on low until incorporated. Turn off the mixer, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix on low speed, stopping just before ingredients are completely incorporated. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add oats and chocolate chips and mix on low just until distributed evenly.
3. Using a tablespoon or your hands, portion dough into balls of about 1 heaping tablespoon each. Place on sheet pans about 1 1/2 inches apart. (You will need to bake dough in two batches.) Bake until lightly golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool and store in airtight containers for up to five days, or freeze for up to four months.
*Nutrition information based on 1 cookie per serving.
Recipe reprinted with permission from Clean Eating for Busy Families: Get Meals on the Table in Minutes with Simple and Satisfying Whole-Foods Recipes You and Your Kids Will Love by Michelle Dudash, R.D.