This year, People bestows the coveted title of the “Most Beautiful Woman” upon Gwyneth Paltrow, who said she couldn’t believe it when she first heard the news. “I honestly thought someone was playing a joke on me,” she says in a behind-the-scenes video. “It’s a very iconic cover in American culture, so it’s just amazing.”
The 40-year-old actress and mom of two has been all over the press recently, for both good news (her second cookbook, It’s All Good, recently debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list) and bad (Star named her the “Most Hated Celebrity” just last week). No matter what her detractors say, the movie star is looking gorgeous on the cover. In the accompanying interview, Paltrow reveals that she’s very low-maintenance at home, preferring to hang out in “baggy shorts and frizzy hair,” and says she feels most beautiful “when I’m truly myself.”
RELATED: Get the inside scoop on Paltrow's fitness routine with celeb trainer Tracy Anderson.
Here are five more of our favorite “most beautiful” (and fit!) ladies who made People's list:
1. Jennifer Lawrence: Ever since the 22-year-old burst onto the scene as Katniss in The Hunger Games, America’s love affair with the Oscar-winning actress has only intensified. Lawrence has one of the most refreshing views on body image to ever come out of Hollywood, telling Australia’s News Network, "I'm never going to starve myself for a part…I don't want little girls to be like, 'Oh, I want to look like Katniss, so I’m going to skip dinner.’”
2. Zoe Saldana: Thanks to her butt-kicking roles in action movies like Avatar, Colombiana, and Star Trek, the 34-year-old actress always looks incredibly toned and gorgeous. Regarding her recent split with Bradley Cooper, she expressed her balanced approach to heartbreak to Latina magazine, saying, “I need water, I need to exercise, I need to eat. To be with a man should be a want.” With three new films due out this year, including the next Star Trek installment, Saldana seems to have more than enough to fill her plate.
3. Pink: The former SHAPE cover model says she feels like she’s in the “best shape of [her] life” after losing 55 pounds since her daughter, Willow, was born. While admitting she indulged in “a lot of cheesecake” during her pregnancy, Pink then lost the weight by working out with Jillian Michaels and Jeannette Jenkins. “They kicked my butt more than any other person I’ve ever worked out with,” she says.
RELATED: Go behind the scenes at Pink's SHAPE cover shoot.
4. Julianne Hough: The dancer-turned-country-singer-turned-actress (whew!) has taken a break from professional dancing, but credits total-body workouts, SoulCycle, and the Tracy Anderson Method to keeping her in tip-top shape. After her recent split from Ryan Seacrest, we’d say being named to this list is a pretty good post-breakup consolation prize.
5. Sofia Vergara: There’s no denying that the stunning, sexy, and sassy Modern Family star looks great on-screen or on the red carpet, but the Colombian-born beauty says that inner confidence is key: “Confident people have a way of carrying themselves that makes other more attractive to them,” she told us in 2011. To maintain her sensual curves, Vergara doesn’t deny herself the foods she craves—cake is an everyday indulgence, she says—but she also loves Latin dancing and Physique 57 workouts.