Need a break from the award show photo galleries? These celebs went from red carpet to real world and put in the hard work for a happy, healthy life just like the rest of us.
1. The wedding of the century. Call it the Beyoncé of weddings: Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitt finally, finally, finally got hitched! We admit, we thought it might not happen, but the dynamic duo tied the knot in a small, private ceremony in France, a spokesperson for the couple says. The couple's children took part in the wedding, with Maddox, 13, and Pax, 10, walking the aisle with their mom and Zahara, 9, and Vivienne, 6, throwing petals. Shiloh, 8, and Knox, 6, served as ringbearers. Congrats to the happy couple!
2. Waisting away. Eat your veggies, exercise, and waist train? You’ll never believe Kim Kardashian’s latest slim-down trick. The reality star recently took to Instagram to confess that she’s lost seven pounds by “waist training” with the What’s a Waist apparatus, advertised to reduce one’s waist “around seven inches” after being worn for a period of time. "#hourglass #waisttraining #nophotoshopnecessary #whatawaist.com @premadonna87,” she captioned one pic. Kim K isn’t the first star to suit up in a waist-slimming device! Khloe Kardashian gave it a try last May, and Jessica Alba made headlines for using a corset to get her post-baby body back last year.
3. ScarJo’s standing up. Women’s health and reproductive rights affects us all—even Scarlett Johansson has something to say about it. The A-lister teamed up with Planned Parenthood to be part of the organization’s Women Are Watching campaign, which also includes Gabrielle Union, Natasha Lyonne, and Selenis Leyva. “When I heard that some politicians were cheering the Supreme Court’s decision to give bosses the right to interfere in our access to birth control, I thought I had woken up in another decade,” said Johansson in a statement on her involvement. “Women are watching, and we will fight for candidates who will ensure that birth control is affordable and who will protect access to safe and legal abortion.”
4. Then and now. Sure, there’s lots of glitz and glam that goes into the MTV VMAs, but for Demi Lovato, the iconic night is also a momentous occasion representing just how far she has come. “This picture makes me feel so many mixed emotions,” wrote the singer on an Instagram photomontage of past VMA looks. Lovato recalls how she requested Spanx to flatten her stomach in one of the pictures, saying that she felt so uncomfortable with her body at the time—despite the fact that you can clearly see her hipbones. “It makes me sad, because I wasted so many years ashamed of my body when I could've been living the happy and healthy life I live today.” Lovato stunned at this year’s awards show in a red Lavin gown and gushes that today she feels “beautiful.”
5. The ball’s in her court. Tennis star Maria Sharapova is talking about how she applies that competitive drive to all aspects of her life, all the while maintaining a healthy lifestyle. “In today’s world all women have so many challenges, so many things to do on a daily basis from career to family. And, it’s always a juggling act,” the athlete said at a recent Q&A discussion. To find that balance, Sharapova acknowledges “that inner voice inside of you that keeps you going, keeps pushing you to strive for the best in everything that you do.” And striving for the best is what she’s doing! The queen of the court recently came through in three sets at the U.S. Open and has us all waiting to see what she does next.