We all need a reality check once in a while, Hollywood included. This week Jennifer Lawrence and Beyoncé are giving in to Tinseltown, speaking out on fat and the beauty of imperfection. What has you talking? Tweet us @Shape_Magazine, tag us on Instagram, or let us know in the comments below!
1. A call to end the hunger games. In Barbara Walters' 10 Most Fascinating People of 2013 special last night, Jennifer Lawrence spoke out against fat shaming on and off the big screen. “And the word 'fat'! I just think it should be illegal to call somebody fat on TV,” she said. “If we're regulating cigarettes and sex and cuss words because of the effect it has on our younger generation, why aren't we regulating things like calling somebody fat?”
2. Squatter extraordinaire. Self-described gym hater Sofia Vergara shared a photo of herself mid-squat saying, “Saturday workout before work! First time squatting!” The Modern Family star relies on trainer Gunnar Peterson to keep her motivated, who previously dished to us his secrets for an efficient workout. Peterson incorporates whole-body moves, uses double-duty equipment, and, of course, keeps the session fun by allowing Vergara to goof around a little.
3. Wave rider. While shooting her upcoming movie Cameron Crowe in Hawaii, Emma Stone took to the water for an invigorating paddleboarding session. The water sport (and killer core workout!) is the actress’ preferred alternative the gym. Stone told England’s S Magazine last year, “I like to do things I actually enjoy, like going for a swim. I had a trainer during Spider-Man and I discovered I have deep-seated rage when I'm holding heavy weights over my head.”
4. Double the pleasure, double the fun. After the release of their PDA-packed music video for “Who You Love,” Katy Perry and John Mayer are doing everything as a couple—even working out. The lyrical lovebirds train with Harley Pasternak, who uses a “multiple variation training plan” to target different parts of the body while changing the resistance, number of reps, and angles. Squeeze in a workout with your main squeeze with these eight active date ideas that won't leave you sweaty.
5. Lifelong soundtrack. “Enjoy your life, it's short. That's the message," says Queen Bey in her Beyoncé follow-up video, "'Self-Titled' Part 2. Imperfection." “Those are the things that matter, and at this point in my life, that's what I'm striving for. Growth. Love. Happiness. Fun.” Beyoncé has long dedicated herself to living an all around healthy, fulfilled life by following Marco Borges’ Power Moves philosophy, regularly incorporating cardio, lunges, and squats into her on-the-go routine, and by practicing clean eating, most recently embarking on a 22-day vegan challenge.