Mindy Kaling, star of The Mindy Project, has been hitting the interview circuit to talk about the return of her hit show, kissing her coworkers, healthy living, and how she deals with being a normal-sized woman in Hollywood.
While we don't get to make out with hot actors for our jobs (sigh), pretty much the rest of what she says rings true for us as well. Be prepared: If she's not already your celebrity BFF, she will be after you read our favorite words of wisdom from the actress!
1. "I'm always trying to lose 15 pounds, but I don't want to be skinny. I’m constantly in a state of self-improvement, but I don’t beat myself up over it," she explained in her interview with Vogue. Finally, a girl who loves moderation as much as we do. It's refreshing to see someone who can walk that line between letting everything go and going overboard.
2. “I feel the same way about clothes as I do about food. I want everything,” she confessed. A girl who loves fashion and food? Sign us up!
3. "I run and work out. It takes a lot of effort to look like a normal, chubby woman," Kaling said in an interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live! The actress explained that she loves barre and spin classes but added that she feels like the recipient of a lot of backhanded compliments. "People are like, 'It's so nice that Mindy Kaling doesn't feel like she needs to subscribe to the ideals of beauty that other people do.' And, I'm like, 'I do subscribe!'" While she says she's not trying to be the poster child for curvy girls, we can't help but adore her for saying it like it is: You don't have to be skinny to enjoy working out!
4. Addressing the "controversy" over a two-piece dress she wore to Paleyfest last week, she said, "Thanks, but wearing a crop top is not courageous. But, really, aren't surgeons courageous?" It's true, bandaging up bloody wounds probably takes more guts than showing a sliver of tummy on a red carpet, but we're still going to give her props for showing that you don't have to be a size zero to rock this spring's midriff-baring trend.
5. "I have the best deal worked out in the world," she told Kimmel about her co-stars. "I kiss handsome actors, and then they leave so I don't have to find out about sports and all that crap that I don't care about." We're a little jealous, frankly. Let us know if you ever need a stand-in, Mindy!
What do you think about Kaling's quotes? Add your favorite to the comment section below or tweet us @Shape_Magazine!