Internet bullying, gluten, and nipples all get us chatting—and celebrities are speaking out about these hot-button issues too! Find out who’s fighting back, who’s fired up, and who’s flaunting her breasts.
1. Taking a stance against cyber bullies. "I see myself as a chalkboard,” Gwyneth Paltrow said at the Code Conference in California. The Goop founder and healthy lifestyle expert took a stand against criticizing others online on Tuesday by admitting the damage it’s done to her personally. "It's taken me a long time to get to the point where I can see these things and not take it as a personal affront and a hurt," she said. "It's almost like how, in war, you go through this bloody, dehumanizing thing, and then something is defined out of it. My hope is, as we get out of it, we'll reach the next level of conscience."
2. Cupcake controversy. Whatever you do, do not send Charlize Theron gluten-free baked goods. “First of all, I think the gluten-free thing is bulls**t," Theron told Chelsea Handler on Chelsea Lately. "I don't believe it and I think studies now recently just proved that it is bulls**t.” The conversation came after Handler sent Theron a batch of gluten-free cupcakes, to which Theron replied, "I just think that if you're going to send a gift, let it be enjoyable.” Get in the know on the latest news on gluten-free diets.
3. Baring it all. After Instagram’s recent controversial decision to delete pictures of breast cancer survivors and women breastfeeding, Scout Willis, daughter of Bruce Willis and Demi Moore, walked the streets of New York topless on Tuesday and shared her shirtless adventures on Twitter in protest. "Legal in NYC but not on @instagram," she tweeted, along with another caption reading: "What @instagram won't let you see #FreeTheNipple." Rihanna chimed in with support on Twitter, echoing the “Free the nipple” chant.
UPDATE: On June 2, Scout Willis released a statement to xoJane, saying "I didn’t choose my public life, but it did give me a platform to help make body politics newsworthy." Click here to read the entire statement.
4. Fiery fitness. Supermodel Alessandra Ambrosio displayed her cut six-pack while manning the grill over the long weekend saying, “Who wants some BBQ ?? #memorialday #holiday #summertime #Foreveronvacation.” Earlier that day, the Victoria’s Secret angel sweat it out on reformers at her local Pilates studio. Pilates, grilled chicken, and bikinis is our kind of Memorial Day too, Alessandra!
5. We’ll have what she’s having. 12 Years a Slave breakout actress Lupita Nyong’o kept her cuisine as fresh as could be this week. She shared a picture of her made-to-order meal of fish and fresh cooked vegetables captioned: “Before and After. #wholefishrules.” The “Most Beautiful” starlet keeps it au naturale in regards to her beauty routine as well. “I use avocado oil and Hawaiian kukui oil on my face,” she told Glamour. “I like to keep things natural, simple, and straightforward.”