The life of the rich and famous may seem like all glamour and glitz, but these A-listers prove they know how to sweat it out just like the rest of us. From early morning crunches to working out on crutches, see which celebrities put in the hard work this week. What stories have you talking? Tweet us @Shape_Magazine, tag us on @Instagram, or comment below.
1. Wannabe fitter. Despite having a personal gym in her £45 million home, Victoria Beckham was up and at ‘em in an early morning “bums and tums” class at a public gym in London. But she didn’t brave it alone! Soccer star husband David Beckham tagged along, and according to one source, “David was chatting to her intermittently but other than this, the couple just kept their head down and gritted it out." Check out 13 home gyms of the rich and famous.
2. Triple-X-threat. Monday night on Conan, Gabrielle Union coined an unexpected new diet term: “porn diet.” The actress explained that she’s been getting competitive with the adult film stars in her gym lately, confessing she stays on the machines longer and even copies them by hitting the juice bar after her workout. Fresh on an engagement to the Miami Heat’s Dwayne Wade, Union recently told PEOPLE that her beauty secret is to drink a gallon of water a day. "It changed everything from weight maintenance to hair, skin, nails and digestion," she said. She also practices both yoga and cardio at the gym regularly.
3. On her last leg? More proof that the Queen of Pop is untouchable: Mid-high kick, Madonna posted a different kind of gym pic: “Inventing a new workout on crutches! Waking up new Neuro transmitters is always fun! #nothingcanstopme.” While the singer should be off crutches soon after a minor dance injury, her discipline is clearly here to stay. Madonna avidly works with trainer Nicole Winhoffer, who created the “Addicted to Sweat” workout, a mix of 30 minutes of toning and 60 minutes of dance cardio. We’re sure she’ll be back on two feet in no time.
4. American beauty. Country star Carrie Underwood is the freshest face of Almay as a Global Brand Ambassador. “I love Almay’s positive approach to beauty because it’s so important to celebrate our natural beauty and enhance what makes us unique,” she said. Underwood keeps it all natural both inside and out by following a vegan diet and keeping herself honest with a food journal. Try her go-to moves for strong, lean legs.
5. Now and zen. Fresh off her Vogue photoshop scandal, Lena Dunham reminds us yet again why we need to make peace with our bodies. The Girls actress explained her “Zen body philosophy” in light of her own insecurities saying, "We're one weight one day, we're one weight another day, and some day our body just doesn't even exist at all! It's just a vessel I've been given to move through this life.” Dunham adds, “I think about my body as a tool to do the stuff I need to do, but not the be-all and end-all of my existence.” Consider this permission from everyone’s most beloved girlfriend to stop obsessing.