Although no one needs an excuse to chow down on chips and guacamole, it's nice to have a valid reason to indulge this Sunday, May 5.
Cinco de Mayo, which many mistakenly assume marks Mexico's Independence Day, is actually a cultural holiday observed primarily in the U.S. where Mexican-Americans celebrate their heritage and pride. The holiday is only observed in certain regions of Mexico such as the State of Puebla, where it commemorates the Mexican victory in an 1862 battle against French forces.
If you're planning a Cinco de Mayo fiesta this weekend— regardless of your reason for celebrating—SHAPE's got you covered. We've gathered more than 40 recipes for mouthwatering yet guilt-free Mexican meals, avocado-inspired desserts, and delicious, low-cal drinks—all you need now is a sombrero. Salud!
1. Heart-healthy avocadoes pair amazingly well with the fruity flavors of mango, peach, and apple in one of our favorite guacamole recipes from NYC chef Julian Medina.
2. From spinach enchiladas to grilled corn on the cob to citrus shrimp tacos (for only 140 calories each!), these five low-cal Mexican recipes are sure to please your taste buds, your guests, and your waistline.
3. Enjoy the rich flavors of your favorite foods from South of the Border without any guilt whether you're eating out, at home, or at a friend's by digging into the top 10 healthy Mexican dishes.
4. Steer clear of calorie-bomb cocktails this Cinco de Mayo by checking out the 10 worst offenders. (Bonus: We tell you what to sip instead!)
5. Save hundreds of calories and slash sugar with these 10 skinny margarita recipes for a much-better-for-you happy hour this weekend.
6. Don't stop with guacamole—use avocadoes to make 10 delicious desserts, including creamy pudding, moist cake, and decadent brownies.