With the start of summer just around the corner, the time has come to focus on eating right for a killer bikini bod. A smart strategy to clean up your diet is to up your intake of fresh greens and protein, which is easily accomplished with these delicious shrimp summer rolls from The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook.
Think of them as a healthier, lower-carb version of spring rolls: this recipe replaces the traditional rice paper wrapping with lettuce leaves, providing a hefty serving of fresh veggies plus 15 grams of protein. While the rolls certainly look impressive, they're super simple to make and are perfect as a light appetizer for outdoor parties.
RELATED: Follow SHAPE's personalized Beach Body Diet Plan to get ready to debut a new bikini on your summer vacation!
Shrimp Summer Rolls
1 teaspoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon dark (toasted) sesame oil
1 small red chile pepper, seeded and minced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
8 large green or red leaf lettuce leaves
1 medium carrot, julienned
1 small daikon radish, julienned
1/2 cup mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup peanuts, toasted and chopped
1. Combine lime juice, sesame oil, chile, and salt in a medium bowl; set aside.
2. Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add shrimp and simmer until pink, about 3 minutes. Drain, add to lime juice mixture, and toss to coat. Refrigerate until cool, about 10 minutes.
3. Set lettuce leaves on a counter with stem ends toward you. Press against the “spines” until you hear a crunch to make it easier to roll.
4. Divide carrot, daikon, and sprouts among leaves, setting them in the centers toward the bottom. Divide shrimp among leaves and sprinkle with chopped peanuts. Roll lettuce from the bottom up.
5. Place each roll, seam side down, on a sheet of plastic wrap; wrap tightly and refrigerate for 15 minutes. Remove wrap and cut rolls in half.
Nutrition score per serving: 150 calories, 7g fat, 6g carbs, 15g protein, 2g fiber
From The New Atkins for a New You Cookbook by Colette Heimowitz. Copyright 2011 by Atkins Nutritionals, Inc. Printed by permission of Touchstone Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster, Inc.