Holding the mayo may save you a hundred calories, but (pun definitely intended) if you are really looking to tone and trim your butt, legs, and thighs, you need a targeted lower-body routine.
These body parts tend to areas that many women would rather cover up than show off—even if they are some of the strongest muscles in the body. To make these areas ready to put on display, you need to strengthen the muscles and strip fat.
This BLT workout uses rapid muscle response, which consists of intense 30-second bouts of activity with just 30 seconds between each move. The idea is that the 30-second bursts cause you to push harder and recruit more muscle fibers to achieve results faster than longer bouts of moderate activity.
Perform one to three circuits of the moves below.
1. Snowboarders: Begin in a low squat position with your feet one and half shoulder widths apart. Place your hands on your hips. In one explosive movement, jump as high as possible and rotate your body 180 degrees to the left. Upon landing, return to a low squat, jumping immediately back into the air, this time rotating to your right. Repeat as many times as possible in 30 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To ensure that you are keeping your back upright throughout the exercise, focus on keeping your chin parallel to the ground at all times.
RELATED: Really want to tone those thighs? You’ve got to try the top 10 NEW exercises for thinner thighs.
2. Winds of change: Much like the traditional burpee, the following exercise is sure to fire up your metabolism. Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart, hands at your sides. In one swift motion, squat down to the floor, place your palms on the ground, and jump both legs back into a traditional pushup position. Quickly jump your legs back under your hips into a squat position and jump off the ground as high as possible, reaching your arms toward the ceiling as you rotate your body 180 degrees to the left. Upon landing, lower back into a squatting position and repeat as many times as possible in 30 seconds, alternating jumps to the left and right.
Coach’s tip: To ensure a flat back in the pushup position, be certain to keep your elbows fully extended but not locked while contracting both your abdominals and glutes when you kick back.
3. Double backs: Begin in a low squat position with legs one and a half shoulder widths apart. In one explosive motion, jump forward as far as possible. Upon landing, jump backward two times as quickly as you can. Your goal is to spend the least amount of time on the floor as possible for maximum calorie burn. Continue for 30 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To protect your knees and heels, pretend that you are performing this protocol over hot coals and keep on the balls of your feet.
RELATED: If flat abs are a must for you too, try this triple-threat workout to tone your belly, butt, and thighs.
4. Buddy bi's: Perform this move on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and knees under your hips. Fully extend your right leg backward, lifting your foot and knee off the ground until the leg is parallel to the floor. Bend your right knee, bringing the heel of your right foot as close to your glute as possible. Extend your leg and repeat as many times as possible in 30 seconds. Repeat on the left leg for another 30 seconds.
Coach’s tip: Keep your eyes focused toward the floor. This will ensure a flat back while decreasing neck strain and upper-back pressure caused by lifting the chin.
5. Wide outs: Stand with your hands resting firmly on your hips, feet together. In one explosive move, jump your legs outward, lowering your body into a deep squat position. Jump your legs back together and repeat as many times as possible in 30 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To protect your knees, pretend that you are sitting upright in a chair when performing the squat portion. This will keep your knees from rolling too far forward, which puts unnecessary strain on this part of the body.