In order to look their absolute best for the Academy Awards or other red-carpet events, female celebs resort to strict diets, hours of hair and makeup, and trips all over the world in search of the perfect dress. And while they also get serious about working out, often it’s a matter of sneaking it in when and where they can. That’s why I get my celebrity clients red carpet-ready in just a few minutes a day by using their bodies as a gym.
Below is one of my favorite routines. It can be done anytime, anywhere and will trim and tone your body while helping to create the long and lean figure needed for any show-stopping awards season dress. And if you need a little extra help for your big night, try Preparation H. It helps tighten the skin around the abdominal region and is widely used prior to strutting down the red carpet.
• Perform as many repetitions as possible in 60 seconds
• Do not rest between sets
• Perform 1 to 3 cycles
1. Paparazzi Pikes: Stand tall with feet shoulder-width apart, hands fully extended overhead. Keeping arms and legs fully extended, bring right hand and foot together to meet directly in front of navel. Repeat for 30 seconds, then perform with left hand and foot for 30 seconds.
Coach’s tip: It is imperative that you keep your back tall and flat throughout the exercise. Pretend that your working arm and leg are attempting to form a perpendicular line at your navel. If you feel that is causing your back to round forward, try lowering your hand toward your knee instead of your foot.
RELATED: Learn actress Jaimie Alexander's go-to butt exercise and other fitness tips.
2. Flash Bulbs a Poppin': Stand tall with legs shoulder-width apart and hands on hips. Step forward with left leg into a lunge position and slowly lower hips toward the floor until left knee is an inch above the ground. Pause, then, in one explosive move, raise body up and jump with both feet off the ground. Land back in a deep lunge and repeat as may of times as possible in 30 seconds before switching to the opposite side.
Coach’s tip: To maintain a flat back, keep your chin parallel to the floor.
3. Hips a Turnin': Stand tall with feet pressed together directly under hips and arms fully extended at sides. In one explosive manner, jump and twist lower body to the right as far as possible while keeping torso in the starting position. As soon as you land, jump and twist hips and feet back in the opposite direction. (The goal is to attempt to rotate hips and feet to the right and left as far and as fast as possible.) Repeat as many times as possible in 60 seconds, keeping eyes and shoulders focusing forward throughout.
Coach’s tip: You want to spend as little time as possible on the floor, so pretend you are jumping on hot coals.
4. Strike a Pose: Stand tall with feet shoulder-width apart, hands at sides. Jump as high as possible with both legs splitting as far apart as possible, swinging hands upward toward the ceiling to jump higher. Land and repeat as many times as possible in 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To ensure maximum height, raise your hands to the ceiling as fast as possible.
RELATED: For more ways to shape up like your favorite actresses, check out the top 10 workouts celebs swear by.
5. Autograph, Please: Stand tall with feet shoulder-width apart, arms fully extended overhead. Bend at hips and knees while reaching down toward the floor. When you reach the ground, begin to walk hands forward until body is extended in a pushup position with hands directly under shoulders. Pause. Walk hands back and return to standing position with both arms extended toward the ceiling. Repeat as many times as possible in 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To ensure proper positioning, contract your abdominal and glute regions throughout.