Fashion Week, a bustling and hectic time in New York City, just kicked off. Have you ever wondered what workouts those super-svelte models do to get runway-ready? I’ve worked with some of the most celebrated catwalk queens and know just what moves they love and which ones they need. The key is to perform exercises that trim and tone while strengthening the posterior chain (back), enabling models to stand tall all day long at a photo shoot or down the runway.
Below are the moves I have my model clients perform pre-show. Now you can do the same moves at home—because everyday is your own fashion show!
• This workout can be performed in sneakers or barefoot
• Perform as many repetitions as possible in 60 seconds
• Do not rest between exercises
• Perform the first cycle on your right Leg. Repeat on your left leg for the second cycle
• Complete 1 to 3 cycles on each leg, depending on your current fitness level
• Perform the workout two to three times a week
1. Lagerfeld Lifts: Stand tall, feet directly under hips. Fully extend both arms out to sides until parallel to the floor. Lift right foot off the ground and curl toes toward chin. Squeeze core and begin lifting right leg to the side as high as possible. Return to starting position without putting right food on the ground. Repeat as many times as possible in 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: Keep chin parallel to the floor throughout the entire move to ensure a healthy and erect spine.
2. Paparazzi Turns: Begin as you did for the Lagerfeld Lifts, standing tall with feet directly under hips and arms extended to sides, parallel to the floor. Softly lift right foot off the ground and curl toes toward chin. Squeeze core and begin lifting right leg until it is approximately 6 inches off the ground. In one sweeping motion, begin rotating entire leg from hip in a clockwise motion. Continue rotating for 30 seconds. Next, rotate leg in a counterclockwise motion for 30 more seconds. Keep right leg off the ground for the entire 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: Contract abdominal region by pressing and contracting abdominal wall outward, not by sucking your stomach in, to ensure proper stability.
3. Prada Pumps: Begin as you did with the Lagerfeld Lifts, standing tall with feet directly under hips and arms extended to sides, parallel to the floor. Raise right knee to navel level and hold. Begin pumping knee up and down by fully extending leg to the floor without touching the ground and retracting immediately back up to starting position. Perform as many times as possible in 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: Press firmly into the ground with left heel to stabilize standing leg and maintain proper balance.
RELATED: Need to work more on sitting and standing up straight? Try our Perfect Posture Workout for five moves to help you look taller.
4. Louboutin Lifts: Begin by standing tall with feet shoulder-width apart and arms fully extended to sides. Raise right knee to navel level and hold. (Thigh will remain parallel to the floor throughout the entire movement.) Lower hips as far as possible, dropping into a single-leg squat. Return to standing and perform as many times as possible for 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: To maintain proper alignment and protect spine, imagine an invisible line connecting head, heart, and hips.
5. Chanel Wedges: Begin as you did with the Louboutin Lifts, standing tall with feet shoulder-width apart, arms fully extended to sides, right knee raised up to navel level. In one explosive movement, extend right leg to perform a front kick. As you pull right leg back in, lean forward at hip just slightly and drive right leg under hips to perform a back kick. Alternate forward and backward kicks as many times as possible in 60 seconds.
Coach’s tip: Balance is the key to this movement. To keep from wobbling, create a small bend with left (supporting) leg.
Jay Cardiello has worked with fashion models like Emily DiDonato and Elge Tvirbutaite and celebrities including Jennifer Lopez, Minka Kelly, and Ciara. His sought-after workout program, JCORE, can be found at www.jcorebody.com.