With age comes wisdom, but famed feminist activist Gloria Steinem, who turns 80 today, didn't need to go gray to develop and share her extraordinary insight, especially with regards to the women's movement.
We pulled some of our favorite quotes from GoodReads.com, which compiled a list of Steinem's most powerful and inspiring words. Let us know your favorites in the comments below or tweet us @Shape_Magazine.
1. “A woman without a man is like a fish without a bicycle.”
2. “We are becoming the men we wanted to marry.”
3. “We've begun to raise daughters more like sons...but few have the courage to raise our sons more like our daughters.”
4. “The truth will set you free, but first it will piss you off.”
5. “Without leaps of imagination or dreaming, we lose the excitement of possibilities. Dreaming, after all, is a form of planning.”
6. “So whatever you want to do, just do it. Making a damn fool of yourself is absolutely essential.” [Tweet this quote!]
7. “I have yet to hear a man ask for advice on how to combine marriage and a career.”
8. “Once we give up searching for approval, we often find it easier to earn respect.”
9. “Feminism has never been about getting a job for one woman. It's about making life more fair for women everywhere. It's not about a piece of the existing pie; there are too many of us for that. It's about baking a new pie.”
10. “Women have two choices: Either she's a feminist or a masochist.”
11. “Far too many people are looking for the right person, instead of trying to be the right person.”
12. “Power can be taken, but not given. The process of the taking is empowerment in itself.”
13. “Self-esteem isn't everything; it's just that there's nothing without it.”
14. “Don't think about making women fit the world—think about making the world fit women."
15. “The first problem for all of us, men and women, is not to learn but to unlearn.”
16. “We are the women our parents warned us against, and we are proud.”
17. “If the shoe doesn't fit, must we change the foot?”
18. “One day an army of gray-haired women may quietly take over the Earth!”