Five lower-calorie and better-for-you cookie recipes for you to bake and take to your next holiday cookie swap.
'Tis the season for holiday cookie swaps! And while these events can be really fun and totally delicious, holiday cookie swaps are not exactly what you can call "healthy" most of the time. It's time to change that up though! We've put together five lower-calorie and better-for-you cookie recipes for you to bake and take to your next holiday cookie swap. These cookie recipes are so tasty that we bet no one will even know that they're healthy...
5 Cookie Recipes to Make Your Holiday Cookie Swap Healthier
1. 20-Minute Applesauce Cookies. If you need healthy cookies in a hurry, make this 20-Minute Applesauce Cookies recipe. It's simple to make, whole-grain and full of healthy fruits like banana, apple and dried cherries!
2. PB&J Thumbprints. How fun is this cookie recipe? Festive and fun, these cookies are sure to be a favorite for all of the peanut-butter-and-jelly lovers at your next holiday cookie swap.
3. Chocolate Coffee Meringues. These little bites of heaven are a nice twist on the traditional cookie recipe. Airy, light and only 13 calories per "cookie," they're a no-guilt holiday treat for everyone at your cookie swap!
4. Pumpkin Protein Cookies. Pumpkin is a flavor that's synonymous with this time of year. And these Pumpkin Protein Cookies are made with pumpkin, applesauce, spice and everything nice. Plus, they fill you up more than traditional cookie recipes because they have protein in them!
5. Lime-Glazed Shortbread Cookies. Shortbread cookies are a holiday-cookie-swap staple. But this refreshing take on shortbread cookies is a healthy cookie recipe you'll want to make again and again. Made with whole-wheat flour and olive oil, they have just 73 calories each.
Are you going to any holiday cookie swaps this year? Will you make a healthy cookie recipe of your own? Share the delicious details with us!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.