We put together five of the top weight-loss remedies and tips to help you lose weight and be healthy during the most decadent season of all!
This time of year, it's hard to maintain your weight, let alone lose extra pounds. But, with the right know-how, you can actually lose weight during the holiday season. We put together five of the top weight-loss remedies and tips to help you lose weight and be healthy during the most decadent season of all!
Weight-Loss Remedies for the Holiday Season
1. Work out in the morning. Working out whenever you can is great, but this time of year when you have shopping to do and holiday parties to attend, it's a good idea to work out first thing in the morning. That way, no matter how crazy or busy your day gets, you've already done something good for your health. Not to mention that exercising first thing sets a good tone for your day and may help you to continue to make healthy decisions!
2. Eat off of a plate. A bite here or a nibble there of holiday treats can really, really add up. So one easy weight-loss remedy for the holiday season is to set a rule that you only eat off of a plate. If you really want a holiday cookie, go ahead and have one, but make it a little more formal by sitting down and really enjoying it. Same goes for holiday parties. Instead of grazing over the buffet table, grab a plate and select the foods you want. Doing this makes sure you keep your portion sizes and calories in check!
3. Plan your eats for the day. After eating a healthy breakfast, research suggests that an easy weight-loss remedy is holding off on your morning snack and eating a healthy lunch, afternoon snack and then dinner. Journal your foods so that you're aware of what you're eating, too. Be sure to work a small holiday treat into each day so that you don't feel deprived!
4. Limit the holiday drinking. The calories in cocktails, beer and wine can quickly do a number on your waistline, and they can lower your inhibitions, causing you to eat more of the foods you'd usually steer clear of. Limit yourself to one drink a day and sip on bubbly water with lime, which is festive.
5. Reduce your stress. A recent study found that stress reduction can help with weight-loss. So this holiday season, the best weight-loss remedy of all may be to slow down and take time out to take care of your emotional and physical health!
Are you trying to lose weight this holiday season? Tell us about it!
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.