Chinese takeout may be yummy but those high calorie dishes are anything but diet-friendly. Weighed down by sodium and 13 grams of fat, the original version of this takeout favorite can leave you feeling heavy and bloated. SparkPeople healthy cooking expert and author of The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight, Meg Galvin, has a lighter, healthier version that's packed with veggies. Plus, it's a snap to put together, and will be ready before you even take out the menus!
Chef Meg's Better-than-Takeout Chicken-Fried Rice
Minutes to Prepare: 10
Minutes to Cook: 30
Number of Servings: 4
In a rush? Grab pre-cut veggies from the salad bar, a carton of egg whites, and heat-and-serve brown rice. Combine with leftover chicken, and dinner's ready in 15 minutes!
12 ounces boneless chicken breast, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 small onion, sliced into thin strips
1 cup shredded carrots
1 cup chopped broccoli
1 garlic clove, chopped
1 teaspoon ginger, chopped
1 tablespoon chili garlic sauce
2 cups cooked brown rice
1. Mix the garlic sauce with 1/4 cup water and set aside.
2. Heat a wok or large sauté pan over medium heat, then remove from heat just to coat with nonstick cooking spray. Add chicken, heat until cooked, about 5 minutes. Place the cooked chicken in a large bowl and set aside.
3. Add the onions, mushrooms, and carrots to the pan or wok, turn the heat to high, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the broccoli, garlic, and ginger, and cook for additional 2 minutes.
4. Add the garlic sauce and water to the vegetables, stir to combine, and remove from heat. Pour the vegetables and sauce on top of the chicken and set aside.
5. Spray the pan once more with nonstick cooking spray, and add egg whites. Cook over high heat, stirring constantly, until eggs have almost set. Add the rice, stir to combine, then add the chicken and vegetables. Cook another two minutes, until the eggs have fully cooked.
Total Fat: 1.5 g
Cholesterol: 49.3 mg
Sodium: 134.9 mg
Total Carbs: 13.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 2.5 g
Protein: 25.5 g