The words "loaded baked potato" have become synonymous with "fat, calories, and more fat." Enter Chef Meg Galvin, SparkPeople chef and author of The SparkPeople Cookbook: Love Your Food, Lose the Weight. Her recipe for loaded baked potato soup is loaded with flavor—not fat or calories. So if you like potatoes and you like soup, you'll love how she fuses the two together for a lighter twist on the comfort food classic. Read on to get the recipe!
Minutes to Prepare: 15
Minutes to Cook: 40
Number of Servings: 8
2 teaspoons canola oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, smashed and chopped
3 stalks celery, chopped
1 yellow bell pepper, chopped
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
5 Russet potatoes, peeled and diced
1 quart homemade or low sodium chicken or vegetable stock
1 bay leaf
1 ear corn cooked or 1/2 cup frozen kernels
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
8 cherry tomatoes, diced
2 Tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
1 head green leaf lettuce, shredded
1. Heat a saucepan to medium-low, add the oil, then add the onions once the oil warms.
2. Sweat the onions for 3-4 minutes (to soften them; you don't want them to brown).
3. Add the garlic, celery, and bell pepper, and cook another 3-4 minutes, until the vegetables are tender.
4. Stir in the flour using a wooden spoon, and cook for 1 minute to remove the raw flour taste.
5. Add the pepper, bay leaf and thyme, then slowly pour in the stock and the potatoes, stir and cover. Simmer for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove the bay leaf and add the corn and cayenne pepper.
6. Using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the soup until smooth. If you want a thinner soup, add more stock. Ladle the soup into bowls.
7. Garnish each one cup serving with 1 cherry tomato chopped, 1 teaspoon sharp cheese, and 2 tablespoons shredded lettuce.
Makes 8 one-cup servings.
• Servings Per Recipe: 8
• Amount Per Serving
• Calories: 167.9
• Total Fat: 2.1 g
• Cholesterol: 2.0 mg
• Sodium: 49.9 mg
• Total Carbs: 32.0 g
• Dietary Fiber: 4.5 g
• Protein: 4.9 g
More soup recipes from Chef Meg
Chef Meg's Best Chicken Soup
Thai Chicken Coconut Soup (Chef Meg's Makeover)
Chef Meg's 15-Minute Asian Beef Soup
Chef Meg's Roasted Vegetable Soup