Happy Wednesday! We have healthy food on the brain this morning (check out photos from our impromptu juice break with Melvin's Juice Box), so we thought we'd round up the most interesting food-related news we could find this week. Check out the stories, and then let us know what you think in the comments below or tweet us @Shape_Magazine.
1. Your beloved sriracha may be no more. Stock up while you still can y'all, because the golden age of the ultimate hot sauce may be coming to an end. According to CNN, Huy Fong Foods, the maker of the ubiquitous "rooster" sauce, is being slapped with a lawsuit by the city of Irwindale, CA. City officials say the smell emanating from the factory is so strong that it's affecting the residents' quality of life and has even forced some residents to move. The lawsuit could (possibly temporarily) shutter the factory, meaning that if you're looking to season your delicious pho and bahn mi, you might soon be S.O.L.
UPDATE: Crisis averted (for now)! Your sriracha prayers have been answered. Los Angeles superior court judge Robert O'Brien rejected Irwindale's initial petition to cease operations. A November 22nd hearing has been scheduled on a preliminary injunction.
2. The juice craze has officially jumped the shark. Sorry guys, but it's true: If all you're eating is juice and all you're feeling is "hangry" (hungry + angry), then you're doing healthy living wrong. Still, in Vanessa Grigoriadis' piece for The Cut, she explores the different ways healthy living trends have had an effect specifically on the people of New York. Check it out, and then tell us: What do you think about the "cult" of healthy living?
3. "Big food" is quietly spending money to prevent GMO labeling on foods. BuzzFeed Business is reporting that Coca-Cola, PepsiCo, and Nestlé are among some of the biggest companies in Washington state spending heavily to block new requirements that would require foods grown with GMO products to be labeled, starting in 2015. If the initiative (known as Prop 522) passes, Washington would become the first state in the nation to require labeling of this type.
4. Facts about pumpkin to blow your gourd. In honor of Halloween, here are eight little-known facts about everybody's favorite fall produce that are sure to shock and surprise you. At the very least, you'll have a conversation-starter to pull out of your pocket at your costume party tomorrow!
5. How to be the perfect dinner guest (and host!). Just a friendly reminder as you sift through all the invites (you popular girl you) for the upcoming holiday season that it pays to follow a few simple etiquette rules, whether you're attending or hosting. This easy guide from Bon Appétit will ensure that you are the guest with the best (or the hostess with the mostess).