The Shape.com team has been pretty busy the past few weeks launching our new site design (isn't it pretty?), but I managed to find time to dig up the five most interesting, noteworthy stories I've read this week. Scroll down below to check them out, then tell us: What did I miss? Tweet us @Shape_Magazine, or let us know in the comments below!
1. Porn sex is nothing like real sex. Whether you've watched XXX videos or have only heard guys talk about them, you may have wondered how you stack up in bed. The clever folks at New York-based production company KB Creative Lab did some research and created this video using handy-dandy food visuals to compare porn sex and real sex (Warning: It may be slightly NSFW). Spoiler alert: The two are very different. Shocker, we know.
2. Your job is slowly killing you. More than 80 percent of Americans report feeling pervasive work-related stress, which can lead to high blood pressure, depression, accelerated aging, strained relationships, and, oh yeah, an increased risk of heart attack, according to this piece by Huffington Post Healthy Living. Gives you a new perspective on vying for that bigger office.
3. On second thought, maybe it's your workout that wants to kill you. Vogue writer Patricia Garcia went for a cycling class with a friend recently and left with exercise-induced rhabdomyolisis. We're glad to hear she's okay and has recovered, but want to take a quick opportunity to remind you to be careful if you're working out for the first time! If you're new to exercising or are just getting back into the swing of things after a long break or injury, you may want to proceed with caution and make sure not to push yourself too hard. If you're in need of resources, check out Fit Journey, a new fitness website geared toward beginners.
4. A period commercial that rocks. Is this the greatest commercial ever or the greatest commercial ever? Produced for Helloflo, a monthly subscription delivery service for your period, not only is there nary a white sundress in sight (because, I tell you, whenever I'm on my period, the first thing I do is run through a field of flowers in my favorite airy white sundress), but the adorable star of the commercial actually says the words "period," "vagina," and "menstruation," no euphemisms necessary.
5. The science behind cellulite. Good news: There may be ways you can minimize the appearance of that unsightly, dimply fat that tends to appear on your butt and thighs. Bad news: There's still no permanent way to remove cellulite for good yet.