Gather round, it's time for another news recap. We've got the skinny on new skinnies, the latest in love and rex research, 50 Shades of Grey mania (yes, us too), and more.
What are you reading this week? What'd we miss? Share in the comments below or tweet us @Shape_Magazine!
1. Spanx sells jeans now. To promote "thigh-trimming construction," according to The Cut. I'm not saying I don't love the power of Spanx, but why do we need jeans? As The Cut's Maggie Lange points out, Spanx jeans are basically just jeggings, and I thought we had all agreed to let that trend die out quietly, so I'm not sure where Spanx got the memo that this is a thing we need or want.
2. Find out how much sleep you really need. Experts know that getting enough sleep is key to performing and feeling your best, though the research is still fuzzy on exactly how many hours of sleep that entails. Still, in light of a recent study that suggets people who get six or fewer hours of sleep per night perform that same cognititve level as those who are legally drunk, ASAPScience takes a look at all the research out there and deconstructs it so you can find your perfect sleep sweet spot.
3. More Americans are avoiding soda and sugar. A new Gallup poll reveals that Americans are trying to adopt healthier eating habits. In fact, 63 percent of the 1,013 adults surveyed said they avoid soda, and 13 percent say it's not a part of their diet at all. Additionally, 52 percent said they're making a concerted effort to take sugar out of their diet as well.
4. Soul mates may not exist. And that might be a good thing, according to recent research. A new study out of the University of Toronto suggests that couples who buy into the idea of "soul mates" may end up more dissatisfied than couples who don't. The problem arises when you start to think of your partner as your complete other half, and that therefore, you'll have "perfect harmony, with no conflicts whatsover," lead study author Spike W.S. Lee told Science of Us.
4. 50 Shades of Grey mania has reached an all-time high. Seriously, though, you'll want to watch Jimmy Fallon's remix of the recently released 50 Shades of Grey trailer. Need a laugh or an afternoon pick-me-up? This one won't disappoint!