Tomorrow is the first day of October, and you know what that means: Breast Cancer Awareness Month! While everything from the NFL's uniforms to fountains to fitness gear will be going pink in October, we wanted to share the top five things you should know about Breast Cancer Awareness Month. We all want to make a difference and find a cure!
Breast Cancer Awareness Month Facts and How You Can Help
1. Breast cancer can affect anyone. Whether you're poor, rich, white, black, old or young, breast cancer can affect you. Celebrities Cynthia Nixon, Christina Applegate and Sheryl Crow have all been diagnosed and now help promote Breast Cancer Awareness Month.
2. Awareness is growing. This year marks the 25th year of Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so if it seems like pink is everywhere, you'd be right. Over the last quarter of a century, the movement is growing!
3. It's easy to get involved. Whether it's running a race for charity during Breast Cancer Awareness Month or buying a product that supports breast cancer research, you can help no matter what your budget is or how much time you have to give!
4. Check yourself. The most important thing you can do to support Breast Cancer Awareness Month is to do a monthly breast exam and get a mammogram as soon as your doctor recommends it.
5. Live a healthy lifestyle (and help others do the same). Simply eating healthy foods and working out can help reduce your risk of breast cancer. So live a healthy lifestyle, and encourage the women in your life to do the same!
How are you celebrating Breast Cancer Awareness Month?
Jennipher Walters is the CEO and co-founder of the healthy living websites FitBottomedGirls.com and FitBottomedMamas.com. A certified personal trainer, lifestyle and weight management coach and group exercise instructor, she also holds an MA in health journalism and regularly writes about all things fitness and wellness for various online publications.