Putting in extra hours at the office could be putting extra pounds on your figure, according to new research.
In a two-year Australian study, women in the workforce were more likely to gain weight than those who weren’t employed. And the more hours they worked, the more weight the ladies put on.
Okay, as much as I would like to say we should all retire immediately, we all know that isn't a choice. There are a lot of easy ways, however, to avoid becoming another statistic and needing to buy a new work wardrobe.
1. Start your day with breakfast. No matter what, this is not a meal to be skipped. Whether you have it at home or first thing when you get into the office, a healthy breakfast helps set the tone for the day.
2. Be a leader. Just because everyone else in the office likes to order from the local pizzeria or run to the closest fast food establishment, it doesn’t mean you have to join suit. However, if you don’t want to be left behind, just be smart in placing your order or, better yet, suggest trying a new, healthier place. Who knows, your health-conscious persona might rub off on the others.
3. Squeeze in exercise. Instead of sending your colleague down the hall an email, get up and walk over to her desk. Bypass the elevator and take the stairs to your afternoon meeting and back to your cube. If you drive to work, park your car farther away from the building’s entrance. Or start a lunch walking group; you might be pleasantly surprised how many others in the office are tired of sitting all day.
4. Use sticky notes as reminders. Take advantage of being at your computer all day and put reminders notes where you can clearly see them, like on your phone or monitor. Jot down to drink water plenty of water, avoid the candy jar on your co-worker's desk, and pick up some fruits and vegetables on your way home.
5. Come prepared. Just like you would never go into battle without ammunition, you should never go to the office without food, especially snacks for later in the day. Instead of finding yourself at the vending machine at 3 p.m., you should be able to reach into your bag and grab something a whole lot better.
Working long hours in never fun, but a job shouldn’t ruin your health. Remember that you are in the driver’s seat—steer straight.