This past was winter was very long for Minnesota. We had snow on the ground until May! However, now that the flowers are blooming, windows are open, and shorts have been pulled out of storage, it's time to start preparing for the end of school and the beginning of my favorite season—summer!
I'm especially looking forward to staying busy with the kids all season, which will definitely help my weight loss endeavor. And now that my kids are the perfect age for getting out of the house and staying active, I have a lot of new adventures on our calendar. This summer our family-fitness theme is going to be: just have fun. Here are five ways our family is staying active this season and having a blast at the same time:
1. Bike riding. Last summer my husband bought me new a bike for our anniversary. What a gift! The kids and I spent every day riding to different parks in our area. This year we will continue the tradition and look forward to packing picnics and exploring new trails. We even plan to put the bikes on the car and find trails outside of our neighborhood.
2. Kickball parties. Last weekend, one of my daughter's friends had a birthday party at a park that included a kids versus parents kickball game. Everyone had so much fun! My kids asked if we could do that throughout the summer. Of course, I said yes! What a perfect playdate to have with friends and other moms and dads.
3. Tennis matches. Both of my kids and I received tennis rackets for Christmas, and we already have a court picked out to practice on as soon as school lets out.
RELATED: Tone your trouble zones this summer with the Summer Shape Up Workout from Jillian Michaels!
4. Hiking trails. Minnesota has many lovely regional parks. The closest park to our house is a massive 2,000 acres with miles of trails, canoeing, and even a little beach for swimming.
5. Swimming and watersliding. One of the perks of belonging to Life Time Fitness is having access to several club locations, including one that has a huge indoor/outdoor swimming pool and waterslides.
This is going to be a fantastic summer filled with fun, activity, and lots of natural vitamin D. How will you keep yourself moving this season? Tweet me at @ShapeWLDiary and share some more ideas!