I’ve written a lot about how I’ve tried to set myself up for success. One of the most important ways to do this is to get as motivated as possible. Here are some tips for staying focused that worked especially well for me:
1. Think about what you want to change and why. Write down the specifics about what you want your new life to be like and frequently read it out loud.
2. Write out small goals and build in rewards along the way. And really relish in those rewards, you’ve earned them!
3. Rid your cupboards of tempting foods and keep healthy snacks on hand. I find if I buy something that turns out to be a trigger food for me I will fixate on it until I eat all of it. So I don’t buy it.
4. To exercise more, make sure your workout gear is always clean and put it where you can see it.
5. Keep a journal and pens readily available so you always are able to write down your food intake, workout log, or emotions.
6. If you overeat when you’re tired or stressed out, try napping, reading, or going for a walk instead. Or make a cup of tea/coffee. I find that sometimes that little bit of warm liquid in my belly really makes a difference.
Our 2011 Weight Loss Diary writer, Stacy, is a 35-year-old former teacher who is looking to get healthy and boost her self-esteem over the next year. Follow along as she goes after her goal!
Who’s helping Stacy? Life coach Michelle Hastie, nutritionist Ruth Frechman, R.D., and personal trainer Whitney Cole.