While advice for losing weight can be simplified to “eat less and exercise more,” it’s much more complicated than that. I recently got an email from ediets.com and it included a list of things you shouldn’t do if you want to keep the pounds off for good. Here are the ones that especially resonated with me:
1. Eat too little or infrequently.
2. Eliminate all fruits. (Some specialty diets have you do this—crazy!)
3. Eliminate fats. (To feel satisfied, you need to continue to eat monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fats).
4. Keep processed snacks in your kitchen. (Replace commercial candy, chips, crackers, and cookies with healthy snacks such as hard-boiled eggs, low-fat cheese, veggies, nuts, and yogurt.)
5. Consume lots of artificially sweetened foods and beverages. Artificial sweeteners trigger cravings for additional sweets in some people.
6. Jump on the low-carb bandwagon. Just because something doesn’t have carbohydrates in it doesn’t mean it’s healthy.