Pass by the crowd waiting for an elliptical and make a beeline for a rowing machine. You’ll burn up to 50 percent more calories while strengthening nearly all the muscles from your shoulders to your calves. Never tried it? this routine from Anna Cummins, a master rowing instructor for Concept 2, will take you from rookie to pro in minutes. Simply set the damper (a device on the side of the flywheel that controls the drag) between 3 and 5, choose pace mode, and row (see form check, below, for tips), aiming for the recommended speeds. After 9 minutes, stand up and stretch—or to increase the burn, do walking lunges— then sit back down for the second half of your session. You’ll leave with an awesome workout under your belt while everyone else is still on her warm-up.
RELATED: Want more? Try the Calorie-Blasting Rowing Machine Workout.
Follow these pointers to avoid injury and maximize results.
1. Wrap fingers lightly around the handle and keep wrists straight.
2. extend arms in front of you, keeping shoulders relaxed—no hunching!
3. hinge forward from the hips and bend knees until they’re over ankles [shown].
RELATED: Forget huffing and puffing on a treadmill for 30 minutes. Burn as many calories in just 10 minutes with these 5 quick exercises for fat-blasting cardio.
4. push through feet, extend legs, and lean back slightly; keep shoulders relaxed.
5. draw elbows straight back to sides until hands reach ribs [shown].
6. to start the next stroke, extend arms, and then bend knees to slide the seat forward.