Yoda is the wisest Jedi in the galaxy, and his advice will force you to step up your health and fitness game
With the latest installment of the Star Wars franchise coming to theaters in a galaxy not so far, far away on December 18th, we took a look back at the lessons we've learned from Jedi masters—and there are many.
1. Do. Or do not. There is no try. Yoda is pretty smart for a tiny, green being. Trying to go up in weight when lifting isn't going to make you stronger. Good advice—whether from Nike or Yoda—is the same: Just do it.
2. There is no such thing as luck. Obi-Wan Kenobi said it well. Luck won't push you through one more set or one more mile. Your hard work and determination will get you to the finish line.
3. Impossible to see, the future is. If we could guess on Yoda's health practices we'd guess they'd include eating his kale, doing yoga, and getting enough sleep to set himself up for good health in the future.
4. Shut him up or shut him down. We're assuming Han Solo was referring to the lunks at the gym who hit on you in the middle of a set.
5. Your focus determines your reality. Anakin Skywalker was given this advice during his training to become a Jedi, natch. Use the words from his pep talk to push you through one more rep.
6. Stay on target. Go for the gold. Keep your eye on the prize. Cliché as some sayings may be, they force you to focus on what you're working toward.
7. I should be mindful of the future... But not at the expense of the moment. Star Wars speak for sometimes you gotta treat yo'self.
8. Size matters not. The only comeback you need when someone tells you girls shouldn't lift heavy. Thank you, Yoda.
9. Strike me down, and I shall become more powerful than you could possibly imagine. While you don't have light sabers or tractor beams at your disposal (bummer), you should still take advantage of this advice from when Obi Wan Kenobi faces his former apprentice, Darth Vader. You can learn just as much from your failures as your successes; being defeated will make you a better athlete the next time around.
10. Fear is the path to the dark side. If you're looking to make those #bootygainz, you're going to have to step up to the squat rack. Being fearful of a new workout won't make it any easier. That's totally what Yoda meant...right?
11. There's always a bigger fish. Or a heavier weight, or a longer run, or a harder inversion. Qui-Gon Jinn said it well.
12. Never tell me the odds. While you aren't natigating an asteroid force field at 3,720 to 1 odds like Han Solo, you should never let anyone tell you that you can't achieve your goals. Just because they're difficult doesn't make your goals impossible.
13. I find your lack of faith disturbing. Darth Vader said it right: Haters gonna hate. You don't need that kind of negativity in your life.
14. May the Force be with you. The Star Wars movies all center around 'the force', an ubiquitous quality that motivates the characters. Whether your 'force' is a half-marathon PR, lifting heavier weights, or losing 10 pounds, use it to drive you during every workout.