You won’t find Jenny McCarthy sweating it out at an exclusive gym, and she doesn’t have a pricey trainer on speed dial. Our cover star’s approach to fitness is refreshingly down-to-earth. A few times a week, she does a combo of running and dumbbell exercises, confessing that she skips the latter when she’s short on time. So we asked Shape fitness editor-at-large Jay Cardiello to design a quick toning plan the TV host can do anywhere. “Your own body provides the resistance,” says Cardiello. “And each move targets multiple muscles, maximizing every second of your workout.” Jenny was sold: “Now when I only have 10 mintues, this is my go-to plan,” she says. (Give it a shot and it will be yours too.)
And be sure to check out the June issue of Shape, on newsstands now, for more on Jenny—including details of her engagement!
- AGet on all fours with wrists aligned under shoulders and knees under hips.
- BIn one movement, swing left leg under right hip as you rotate upper body toward the ceiling so you’re in tabletop position; extend left leg straight up and reach right hand toward left foot. Place hand and foot on floor again and reverse motion to return to starting position. Repeat, this time moving in the opposite direction. Continue, alternating sides.
- AStand with feet a stride's length apart, left in front of right, and place hands on hips. Bend knees 90 degrees.
- BRise up onto ball of right foot as you lift left knee to hip height in front of you. Return to starting position and repeat. Switch sides after 30 seconds.
- AStand with feet shoulder-width apart. Raise right arm overhead and extend left arm at side. Squat and bend forward, placing right hand on floor in front of you.
- BJump feet back so you're in plank position.
- CHop feet toward hands and jump straight up, reaching arms overhead. Immediately repeat entire sequence on opposite side. Continue, alternating sides.
- AKneel and extend right leg out to the side. Bend over to the left; place left hand on floor under left shoulder and right hand on hip. Raise right leg to hip height.
- BBend right knee, extend leg to starting position, and repeat. Switch sides after 30 seconds.
- AGet in plank position with feet shoulder-width apart, and place right hand behind head. Rotate right shoulder to the left, bringing right elbow toward left arm.
- BTwist right shoulder up, raising elbow toward the ceiling. Return to starting position and repeat. Switch sides after 30 seconds.