- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 30 minutes
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 7 minutes
- 894mg Sodium
- 46g Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 18g Fat
- 6g Saturated Fat
- 6g Sugars
- 29g Protein
- 87mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- Cooking spray
- 1 pound sirloin steak or beef round (1-inch thick), trimmed of fat and sliced crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick strips
- 8 scallions, ends trimmed
- Wooden picks
- 1/4 cup reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 cup quick-cooking brown rice
- 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- Black pepper
1. Coat an outdoor grill or stove-top grill pan with cooking spray and preheat to medium-high.
2. Wrap steak strips tightly around scallions (about 3 slices per scallion), place on a skewer and secure each piece with a wooden pick. Set aside.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together soy sauce, honey, sesame oil, garlic powder and ginger. Remove 3 tablespoons of soy mixture and brush beef and scallions (reserve remaining sauce to use as a dip after cooking).
4. Grill skewers for 5 minutes. Sprinkle on sesame seeds and grill 2 more minutes, turning every 10 seconds, until steak is cooked through and seeds are golden brown.
5. Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions, adding bell pepper at the start of cooking time. Season rice with salt and black pepper.
6. Add cilantro to reserved soy mixture. Serve skewers with reserved soy mixture, and rice on the side.