- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 307mg Sodium
- 82g Carbs
- 18g Fiber
- 15g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 2g Sugars
- 13g Protein
- 64mg Calcium
- 4mg Iron
- 2 cups dry pearl barley (see Notes)
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced shallot
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 cup roasted, unsalted hazelnuts, sliced in half
- 8 lettuce leaves (Romaine or Bibb)
- Lemon slices for garnish (optional)
1. Rinse barley under cold water and drain. Bring 4 cups water to a rolling boil in a saucepan and add barley. Return to a boil, then reduce heat to medium. Simmer until barley is tender but still chewy, about 30 minutes. Run the grain under running water again and let it drain.
2. Combine oil, lemon juice, shallot, and salt in a small bowl to make vinaigrette.
3. Toss barley with parsley, hazelnuts, and vinaigrette in a serving bowl; spoon over lettuce leaves. Garnish with additional parsley and lemon slices, if desired.
Tip: You can make the barley for this recipe up to three days ahead of time; just refrigerate it until you're ready to cook.