From calorie counts to total cans of cranberry sauce, these fun facts will surprise you!
Your T-Giving Meal in Calories
1 of 8All photos
It's common knowledge that people consume more calories on Thanksgiving than any other day of the year, but did you know that the average American's holiday meal packs more than 1600 calories? This infographic by Visual.ly will help you keep things in check while still enjoying your favorite Turkey Day dishes.
Photo credit: Visual.ly
Thanksgiving by the Numbers
2 of 8All photos
One out of 10 people don't even make turkeys on Thanksgiving? (Are they eating chicken or tofurkey?) That's just one of the startling revelations in this "Thanksgiving by the Numbers" infographic from Viewpoints. And as it turns out, only 48 percent of turkey eaters bake their bird, so the other 52 percent must be cooking it via other means, like deep-frying! (Yikes!)
Photo credit: Viewpoints
3 of 8All photos
This FreshDirect infographic gives us a glimpse into how the grocery chain operates as it relates to your Thanksgiving meal. For instance, if you stacked up all the cans of cranberry sauce customers bought from FreshDirect alone, it would stand twice as tall as the Empire State Building. It's amazing how much we consume during the holiday season, and for that matter, every day, isn't it?
Photo credit: FreshDirect.com
Thanksgiving Dinner on a Budget
4 of 8All photos
We're sad to report that the average Thanksgiving meal will set families back 13 percent more than it did last year and 16 percent more than the year before that. Inflation is alive and well. Luckily this infographic from Yummly.com provides some money-saving tips to help keep your budget in check.
Photo credit: Yummly
Talking Turkey: Thanksgiving Facts and Figures
5 of 8All photos
We can always count on Mint.com to give us must-know facts and figures. Their infographic on turkey taught us the history of Thanksgiving, plus which states the most pumpkins, turkeys, cranberries, sweet potatoes, and green beans that Americans consume come from.
How to Carve Up Your Thanksgiving Calories
6 of 8All photos
Its tagline: "Stuff your turkey, not yourself" hit home with us. While men should be consuming 700 calories per meal (on average), women should be at 500. This infographic breaks down just how much you should consume to stay within that range (if you so desire).
Photo credit: The University of Texas MD Anderson Center
Turkey and Travel: How We Celebrate Thanksgiving
7 of 8All photos
According to this infographic from Nationwide Bank, the first Thanksgiving ever was in 1621. What was on the menu? Wild goose or duck, wild turkey, deer, flint corn, fish, shellfish, and eel—pretty different from today's traditional feast of turkey, mashed potatoes, stuffing, cranberry sauce, gravy, and corn. We also learned that you can no longer blame tryptophan for your turkey coma. As it turns out, other meats also contain comparable levels of it. All those carbs are what truly makes you tired!
Photo credit: Nationwide Bank
8 of 8All photos
Not set on your Thanksgiving plans? This infographic from Overstock.com gives us new alternatives to the traditional turkey: deep fried (but keep in mind there are important safety tips to note because there is a large margin of error and fire here), the turducken (which means you layer turkey, duck, and chicken to make one massive dish), and of course, tofurkey.
Photo credit: Overstock.com