- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 4 hours
- Prep: 90 minutes
- Cook: 8 minutes
- 261mg (11%) Sodium
- 139g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 14g (21%) Fat
- 8g (39%) Saturated Fat
- 77g Sugars
- 10g Protein
- 165mg (16%) Calcium
- 5mg (30%) Iron
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup lightly salted butter
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- Decorations (dried currants, chopped pistachios, cinnamon candies, or colored sprinkles)
- For the icing: 1 1/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- For the icing: 2 tablespoons skim milk
- For the icing: 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- For the icing: Food coloring (optional)
1. In a medium bowl, combine flours, ginger, cinnamon, baking powder, pumpkin pie spice, and baking soda. Whisk until well blended and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, beat granulated sugar and butter for 5 minutes. Add molasses and egg; beat until smooth. Stir in the flour mixture. Divide dough into two flattened disks and seal in plastic wrap. Refrigerate dough for 1 hour.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil (shiny side down). On a floured surface, roll out one disk of dough at a time until it's about 1/8 inch thick. Cut into shapes and transfer to prepared baking sheet, 1 inch apart. Decorate with currants, nuts, candies, or sprinkles. Bake 8 minutes.
3. Let cool slightly, then place on a wire rack to cool completely before icing.
1. In a medium bowl, blend confectioners' sugar, milk, and vanilla. Divide into smaller bowls and tint with food coloring, if desired.
2. Spread icing onto cookies, or put into a heavy-duty plastic bag with a tiny hole snipped in one corner to pipe onto cookies.