- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 30 minutes
- 141mg (6%) Sodium
- 74g Carbs
- 16g Fiber
- 8g (12%) Fat
- 3g (13%) Saturated Fat
- 7g Sugars
- 20g Protein
- 123mg (12%) Calcium
- 6mg (36%) Iron
Try this tasty recipe is from Chef Victor Casanova at Culina restaurant in Los Angeles. (300 South Doheny Drive, Los Angeles; Culinarestaurant.com)
- 4 baby artichokes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Zest of two lemons
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary, leaves removed
- 8 ounces garganelli pasta (or use penne)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen baby peas
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh tarragon
- 1/2 cup fava beans
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 stalks of asparagus, cut into 2-inch sections
- 2 cups baby spinach
1. Preheat oven to 375°F.
2. Cut tops off the artichokes and peel the stems. Toss with olive oil, lemon zest, and rosemary. Place in a roasting pan covered with aluminum foil and roast for 15 minutes.
3. Meanwhile bring a large pot of water to a boil and cook pasta until al dente, about 11 minutes. Drain and set aside.
4. While pasta cooks, put peas in a small pot and add just enough water to cover. Bring to a boil, remove from heat, and immediately drain, reserving half the liquid. Transfer peas to a blender and process on high. Add tarragon and just enough of the reserved liquid to help peas purée smoothly.
5. Then, bring a small pot of water to a boil and add the fava beans. Cook for 20 seconds, then drain and set aside.
6. In a large skillet, add butter and ½ cup water. Bring to a simmer and add asparagus, roasted artichokes, and spinach. Bring to a boil, then add cooked pasta and fava beans. Add pea purée, stirring to coat the pasta. Reduce heat and simmer for about 30 seconds. Divide among 4 plates and serve immediately.