- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 8
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 20 minutes
- 68mg (3%) Sodium
- 4g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 5g (8%) Fat
- 2g (10%) Saturated Fat
- 1g Sugars
- 4g Protein
- 59mg (6%) Calcium
- 1mg (8%) Iron
If you can’t find escarole (or you don’t like it), you can substitute fresh spinach; the flavor will be milder, but the greens are equally nutritious.
- Cornmeal for sprinkling
- 2 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1/2 pound asparagus, bottoms trimmed, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 medium yellow pepper, cored, seeded, and thinly sliced
- 6 cups packed, chopped escarole,
- rinsed and spun dry
- 1 14-inch whole-grain pizza crust, or store-bought dough
- 2 tablespoons grated Romano
- 3 ounces crumbled aged goat cheese (about 3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts, toasted
- 1/4 cup torn fresh basil leaves
1. Place a pizza stone on middle oven rack and turn oven to 500°F. Heat pizza stone for at least 20 minutes. (You can also use a baking sheet sprinkled with cornmeal; preheat oven but not sheet to 500°F). If using a stone, generously sprinkle a wooden peel or baking sheet with cornmeal.
2. Meanwhile, heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add asparagus, red pepper flakes, and yellow pepper. Sauté 5 minutes; transfer to a small bowl. Place same skillet over medium-high heat. Add remaining 1 teaspoon oil, then the escarole. Cook greens, stirring constantly, for 5 minutes, or until wilted but not brown. Stir in asparagus mixture.
3. On a lightly floured clean surface, roll dough to form a 14-inch circle. Transfer to prepared peel or baking sheet and slide dough onto heated pizza stone—or just transfer to baking sheet—and cook 5 minutes.
4. Remove stone or sheet from oven to add toppings. Arrange escarole mixture evenly over crust. Sprinkle Romano cheese over vegetables, followed by goat cheese and pine nuts. Bake pizza 12 to 15 minutes more, or until edges are golden. Remove from oven and top with basil. Let pizza cool slightly before cutting into 8 slices and serving.