- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 10 minutes
- 465mg (19%) Sodium
- 17g Carbs
- 3g Fiber
- 5g (7%) Fat
- 1g (3%) Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 2g Protein
- 52mg (5%) Calcium
- 1mg (5%) Iron
Classic potato salad is made with lots of mayo and hard-boiled eggs. This version uses lowfat mayo and skips the egg to cut the calories from about 550 to 167 and trim the fat grams from 46 grams to 2.
Note: Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt per serving.
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 bunch scallions (about 6), trimmed and thinly sliced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup nonfat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
1. Cut sweet potatoes into bite-size chunks. Place in a steamer and steam (over boiling water) for 10 minutes or until tender when pierced with a sharp knife. Let cool, then transfer to a large bowl. Add scallions, celery, and parsley.
2. Whisk together mayonnaise, buttermilk, lemon juice, and mustard until creamy. Pour over potato mixture and gently toss to mix. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Refrigerate until ready to serve. To jazz up flavor, add a tablespoon of sweet pickle relish and several halved cherry tomatoes or both.