- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 15 minutes
- Cook: 25 minutes
- 230mg (10%) Sodium
- 26g Carbs
- 4g Fiber
- 3g (4%) Fat
- 1g (6%) Saturated Fat
- 2g Sugars
- 7g Protein
- 85mg (9%) Calcium
- 1mg (4%) Iron
Think you can't eat cheesy, crunchy treats when you’re trying to slim down? Think again.
Note: Nutritional information includes 1/8 teaspoon of added salt.
- 6 jalapenos, halved, seeds and ribs removed
- 1/2 cup shredded 75% reduced-fat cheddar, such as Cabot
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat whipped cream cheese, such as Weight Watchers
- 4 scallions, finely chopped, divided
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat panko bread crumbs
- 4 large egg whites
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream, such as Breakstone's
1. Preheat broiler on high. Place a wire baking rack on a foil-lined baking sheet. Place jalapenos on wire rack; broil for about 2 minutes or until they start to char. Cool completely.
2. Preheat oven to 450°F. In a small bowl, mix cheddar, cream cheese, and half the scallions. Using a teaspoon, fill each pepper half with the cheese mixture, packing tightly.
3. Put flour and panko in separate shallow dishes.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy but not quite holding peaks. Working in batches, dredge jalapenos in flour (shake off excess), then add to egg whites and coat, being careful not to let the filling come out. Add a few at a time to panko and coat. Lay jalapenos on wire rack and season with salt and pepper. Coat lightly with cooking spray.
4. Bake for about 20 minutes or until breading is golden and cheese has melted. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, stir remaining scallions into sour cream. Season with salt. Serve with hot poppers.