- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 8
- Start to Finish: under 2 hours
- Prep: 25 minutes
- Cook: 25-30 minutes
- 239mg (10%) Sodium
- 15g Carbs
- 2g Fiber
- 1g (2%) Fat
- 0g (1%) Saturated Fat
- 4g Sugars
- 5g Protein
- 105mg (11%) Calcium
- 1mg (7%) Iron
Note: Nutritional information includes 1/2 teaspoon of added salt.
- 4 cups fresh green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Cooking spray
- 2 shallots, sliced
- 8 ounces baby bella mushrooms (or any mushrooms), sliced
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons rice milk, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 wonton wrappers
1. Fill a 2-quart saucepan with water; bring to a boil. Place green beans in water and cook just until soft, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
2. Heat a large saucepan on medium heat and spritz with cooking spray. Sauté shallots until translucent and just starting to brown, about 4 minutes. Add sliced mushrooms, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are soft and slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Use a bit more cooking spray if necessary to prevent the mushrooms from burning or drying out. Shake rice milk thoroughly to thicken it, and add 2 cups to the pan with the mushrooms; bring to a boil.
3. As the mixture is boiling, combine cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons of rice milk in a small bowl. Add cornstarch mixture to rice milk in the pan; bring to a boil again. Whisk frequently until the sauce is thickened, then reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, cut wontons into thin strips. Spread evenly on a cookie sheet and bake in a preheated 350°F oven for 5 minutes. Stir, then bake until golden brown (another 2 to 3 minutes), monitoring carefully to prevent burning. Set aside to cool. (Don't turn off oven.) Add green beans to rice milk mixture, stir to coat evenly, and place in a 2-quart casserole dish greased with cooking spray; cover with aluminum foil. Bake for 25 minutes, or until the rice milk mixture is hot and bubbly. Remove from oven; top with the crisp wontons. Serve immediately, family-style.