- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: under 1 hour
- Prep: 20 minutes
- Cook: 15 minutes
- 373mg (16%) Sodium
- 49g Carbs
- 6g Fiber
- 14g (22%) Fat
- 4g (18%) Saturated Fat
- 35g Sugars
- 26g Protein
- 78mg (8%) Calcium
- 2mg (13%) Iron
Jazz up boring grilled chicken kebabs with a delicious marinade and pineapple salsa.
Vegetarian option: Cut 1 pound tofu into 1 1∕2-inch cubes and marinate. Alternate pineapple and tofu on skewers (pierce tofu from top to bottom, not through cut sides). Place kebabs on grill over medium heat and cook 3 minutes. Baste with remaining pineapple mixture, turn, baste again, cook another 3 minutes.
- 2 cups coarsely chopped pineapple
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary (or any herb)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 pound chicken breast, pounded and cut into 2-inch cubes
- 12 2-inch pineapple chunks
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 2 large tomatoes, cored and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped baby spinach
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh or dried cilantro
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (to taste)
1. Place chopped pineapple, garlic, rosemary, salt, and pepper in a blender. Blend, adding water as needed to thin to the consistency of barbecue sauce.
2. Place chicken and three-quarters of the pineapple mixture in a large zip-top bag; turn bag to coat. Leave to marinate for up to 30 minutes. Reserve remaining pineapple mixture for basting.
3. While the chicken marinates (or up to 1 hour ahead), make the pineapple salsa: In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Let stand for at least 10 minutes at room temperature to blend flavors.
4. Heat grill to medium. Remove chicken from marinade (discard marinade). Place chicken on the grill and cook for 4 minutes, turning after 2 minutes. Remove from grill.
5. Once chicken is cool enough to handle, thread skewers with 4 pieces of chicken and 3 chunks of pineapple, alternating chicken and pineapple (start and end with chicken).
6. Place chicken kebabs on grill and cook for 3 minutes. Baste with remaining pineapple mixture, turn, baste again, and cook for another 3 minutes.
7. Spoon 1 cup pineapple salsa on each of four plates. Remove grilled chicken kebabs and serve over pineapple salsa.