Hey, ice cream and wine lovers, get ready for the ~ happiest ~ hour ever.
Photo: Certified Pastry Aficionado
Never mind ankle boots, pumpkin spice lattes, and sweaters. There's really only one thing you need to do to transition from summer to fall, and that's trade in your frosé for this decadent red wine milkshake. The recipe from Sharon of Certified Pastry Aficionado calls for just two ingredients that you probably already have nestled away for your next Netflix binge: wine and ice cream. (These wine floats are another riff on the genius combo.) Sharon suggests reaching for a red dessert wine instead of a table wine for this recipe, which will allow its flavor to stand out more. How far you go with toppings is up to you.
We won't pretend this drink is a healthy choice. But if you're going to drink wine, you might as well reach for red, which contains the heart-healthy compound resveratrol. And ice cream doesn't need to be unhealthy, for what it's worth.
Wine Milkshake Recipe
Prep Time: 5 mintues
- 1 pint vanilla ice cream (or frozen yogurt)
- 1/2 cup red dessert wine (port, madiera, etc.)
- Toppings for milkshake (whipped cream, cherries, etc.)
- Take your favorite vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt out of the freezer. If it is rock-solid, let it soften a little on the counter until it's scoopable (5 to 10 minutes).
- Scoop the entire pint of ice cream into a blender. Add 1/2 cup of dessert wine.
- Place lid on blender and blend on high until smooth, about 30 seconds.
- Pour into a wine glass and top with whipped cream and a cherry (if desired). Serve with a straw and enjoy!