In the heat of the summer, a few things are crucial in an AM beverage: It needs to be cold, motor you through the day (no matter how hot and sticky), and deliver some awesome health perks. Enter: cold-brew coffee, the best thing to happen to mornings since, well, freezer smoothies. The not-so-great part about cold brew? Forking over $$$ for it every day. Try these tips to make your own cold brew coffee right at home. (And, ICYDK, drinking coffee before a workout can boost your performance.)
How to Make Cold Brew Coffee Concentrate
- To brew great coffee, start with high-quality beans, says Richard Karno, founder of organic coffee company Lucky Jack. His rec: choose medium-roasted.
- Grind the beans semi coarse.
- Stir ground coffee with purified cold water in a 1 to 1.5 ratio.
- Let steep at room temperature for 20 hours, then pour through a sieve lined with a coffee filter.
- Mix 1 part concentrate with 2 parts water or to taste.
Tips to Switch It Up
Try different roasts and ratios: Make your brew stronger with a higher proportion of coffee to water; use a medium roast for a brighter taste.
Vary the origin: The flavor of coffee depends on where the beans are grown. For a sweeter brew, try coffee from Central America. For an acidic brightness, opt for blends from Africa. For a smoother cup, Karno suggests Sumatra.
Add healthy extras: The toasted notes of cold brew pair well with the nuttiness of almond, hemp, and coconut milks. A sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa brings out the flavors even more. (Try some of these healthy coffee recipes and coffee smoothies.)
Get It To Go
No time to brew your own? These bottled options are your new heroes.
- Secret Squirrel Premium Strong Concentrate is double-filtered for a super smooth mix that you blend with water or milk to taste.
Hopped Anchorhead Coldbrew Coffee combines the refreshing bite of an IPA beer with velvety coffee by adding hops.
Lucky Jack Nitro Cold Brew Double Black throws a shot of espresso into its effervescent blend for an extra little jolt of energy with no acidic bite.
Califia Farms Unsweetened Black & White Cold Brew Coffee with Almondmilk delivers the creaminess of low-cal nut milk without any added sugar.
(Yeah, we know; your new homemade cold brew is probably crazy delicious. Just make sure to not over-drink, because it's possible to die of a caffeine overdose.)