Swap the sugary frappuccino or flavored latte for an earthy yet rich Paleo substitute you can make at home.
We're avid believers in treating yo-self to a decadent vanilla sweet cream cold brew from Starbucks every now and then (they're just so good!). But if occasional visits have become daily habits (and your bank account is seeing the results), you might want to check that habit, at least for a bit.
Plus, a Starbucks signature drink like sweetened venti lattes, seasonal teas, or frappuccinos can contain up to 69 grams of sugar per drink. Some hot, flavored drinks could have as much as 25 heaping teaspoons of sugar per serving, according to a report from the U.K.'s Action on Sugar campaign. FYI: The American Heart Association recommends no more than 6 teaspoons of sugar per day for women. (So, do you know whether you're eating too much sugar?)
But getting smart about your coffee choices doesn't have to mean sacrificing taste.
Enter: a delicious Paleo lavender iced coffee that replaces dairy milk or cream with almond milk and subs cane sugar and artificial flavorings for floraly, sweet dried lavender.
The recipe was created by master baristas at Allegro Coffee's flagship cafe in Denver. (Allegro was one of the first-ever certified organic roasters in the country and now sells their blends at Whole Foods stores across the country.)
"Making your own cold brew coffee and lavender-infused milk is a great way to still feel like you're treating yourself while knowing exactly what is going into your drink," says Stephanie Kiernan, a spokesperson for Allegro. "We recommend using organic ingredients and limiting the amount of sweetener to make your coffee truly blissful."
So why shell out $8 for a sugar-bomb when you can bring the brewing home for a fraction of the cost and calories? Even better: You can pour a second cup knowing you're developing a new appreciation for natural flavors. (While you're at it, discover these other healthy coffee drinks that only taste indulgent.)
Step 1: Make cold brew.
- Using either Blue Nile Blend, Italian Roast, or the coffee of your choice, place 1 cup coarsely ground coffee in a clean container.
- Add 1 quart cold, filtered water.
- Stir to ensure all grounds are wet.
- Chill mixture 8 to 12 hours in your fridge. When cold brew is complete, pour mixture through fine-mesh strainer into clean container. Store in the fridge until you're ready to enjoy.
Step 2: Make lavender-infused milk.
- In a small saucepan, combine 16 ounces almond milk (or your milk of choice) with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract and 2 tablespoons dried lavender.
- Simmer mixture over medium-low heat for 10 minutes, stirring frequently to avoid burning the milk. Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Strain lavender from milk and cool infused milk to room temperature.
Step 3: Mix and sip.
- In a lidded mason jar, add 6 ounces infused lavender milk and 2 ounces cold brew. Put on the lid and shake for 30 seconds, creating a foam.
- Pour over ice and sweeten with an all-natural simple syrup or agave to taste.
(Images courtesy of Allegro Coffee)