- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: 2 days, 1 hour (including infusion and freezing time)
This version of the Manhattan is named after the most famous ice on the island. The time it takes to infuse the whiskey is totally worth the sweet cherry flavor.
- 9 ounces Old Overholt Rye Whiskey
- 9 fresh or frozen dark cherries
- 5 dashes Angostura Aromatic Bitters
- 3 1/2 ounces Cinzano Sweet Vermouth
- 9 ounces simple syrup*
- 20 ounces water
1. Pour whiskey into a glass jar with an airtight lid. Add cherries, secure lid, and let sit at least 48 hours in a cool, dark place so cherries infuse whiskey.
2. Drain cherries from whiskey, reserving cherries. Pour infused whiskey and remaining ingredients in a metal bowl and place in the freezer. Stir with a spoon every 10 to 15 minutes until mixture reaches slush consistency (it usually takes 45 to 60 minutes). You can also pour mixture into an ice cream or gelato machine and run for 20 to 30 minutes. Pour into glasses and garnish with reserved cherries.
*To make simple syrup, combine about 11 ounces sugar and 11 ounces water in a pot. Bring to a boil, stirring, until sugar dissolves.
Recipe provided by Snow & Co. Artful Frozen Cocktails in Kansas City, MO