Avocado toast is totally having a moment. And it’s no surprise—what could be better than buttery, ripe avocado smashed onto hearty, crusty bread? Not only does it taste incredible, but the combo of healthy fats and fiber is also super satisfying no matter what time of day hunger strikes.
New York City’s Cafe Gitane is said to have started the craze with their lemon juice, olive oil, and chili flake-topped seven-grain toast version (you’ve probably seen it on Instagram). But why stop there? We hunted down the most delicious, good-for-you twists on the web. Try them and let us know your favorite avocado toast combo in the comments below, tweet us @Shape_Magazine, or tag us on Instagram.
Hot and Spicy
1. Cucumber-Tomato-Sriracha Avocado Toast
So simple. So spicy (if you desire). So good.
2. Curried Avocado Toasts with Lime and Mustard Seed
Healthy Indian spice adds some serious global flair.
3. Harissa, Smashed Avocado, and Egg Toast with Goat Cheese and Honey Drizzle
“The honey helps balance out the spiciness of the harissa,” says blogger Tieghan.
4. Goat Cheese and Avocado Toast with Red Pepper Flakes and Black Lava Sea Salt
Mixed and colored with charcoal, black lava sea salt has a slightly smoky taste that’s divine with spicy pepper, tangy cheese, and avocado.
Fresh from the Garden Flavors
5. Avocado, Burrata, and Tomato Tartine
Creamy, gooey burrata makes this sandwich extra special. Swap in fresh mozzarella or ricotta if you can’t find it in your local market.
6. Cucumber Hummus Avocado Toast
If you haven’t already, introduce hummus to avocado, stat. The two hit it off perfectly.
7. Smashed Avocado, Black Bean, and Roasted Tomato Toasts
Take your toast south of the border with cumin-dusted roasted tomatoes and a sprinkling of pepitas.
8. Avocado and Mango Toast
Bright and tropical may just be the perfect way to start your day.
9. Spring Radish and Avocado Toasts
A fun twist on the classic tea sandwich made with refreshing, crunchy radish slices.
10. Lemon Avocado Toast with Nutty Basil Pesto
This homemade walnut pesto is loaded with bright lemon and basil and flavors—and is salt-free!
11. Smashed Pea and Avocado Toast
Peas sweeten the deal here and pump up the protein along with Greek yogurt.
12. Smashed Avocado Toast with Feta and Roasted Chili Sweet Corn
This colorful recipe is so pretty and delicious, it begs to be served at your next fiesta.
13. Ginger-Mint, Strawberry, and Avocado Flatbread
Those perfectly ripe strawberries you’ve been eyeing at the farmer’s market make a stunning combo with avocado. Dust lightly with hemp seeds for added crunch and a nutty note.