This flavorful salad packs in protein plus tons of veggies in one dish, ideal for a low-key date night dinner. You could also lighten it up by swapping the steak for a chicken breast or tuna fillet.
3 tablespoons Tamari low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
1 teaspoon honey
For ginger dressing
1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
1 tablespoon Tamari low-sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon roasted sesame oil
1 teaspoon honey (optional)
1/2 to 3/4 pound flank steak
6 cups baby spinach
1 1/2 cup bean sprouts
1 1/2 cup carrot, thinly sliced or grated
1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
Crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, or green onions, for garnish (optional)
1. In a large re-sealable plastic bag, add soy sauce, ginger, garlic, rice vinegar and honey. Place flank steak into the bag, coating it evenly with marinade. Marinate for 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
2. After marinating, place steak on a hot grill pan or skillet. Cook for approximately 6 minutes on each side. Remove from heat, place on a cutting board, and allow meat to rest for approximately 5 minutes to allow juices to settle. Using a sharp knife, slice steak against the grain into thin slices.
3. In a small bowl, whisk all ingredients for dressing together.
4. In a large bowl, combine spinach, bean sprouts, carrots, and red onion. Toss with dressing.
5. Serve salad on individual plates, topped with steak. Crushed peanuts, sesame seeds, or green onions can be used as optional toppings.
Nutrition score per serving: 178 calories, 7g fat (2g saturated), 16g carbs, 16g protein, 4g fiber, 65mg calcium, 3mg iron, 618mg sodium