Full of fiber and boasting more vitamin C than an orange, brussels sprouts make a welcome addition to this morning meal (or midnight snack).
PREP TIME: 10 MINUTES
COOK TIME: 22 MINUTES
2 medium Yukon gold potatoes (about ½ pound), cut to ½-inch dice
2 large shallots, diced
4 ounces fully cooked chorizo, quartered lengthwise and cut into ½-inch pieces
½ teaspoon plus 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
4 tablespoons low-sodium chicken broth
4 extra-large eggs
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 cups cooked Brussels sprouts, quartered lengthwise
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
freshly ground black pepper
1. Place potatoes in a large saucepan, cover with cold water, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cook for 6 to 8 minutes or until fork-tender. Drain and pat dry; set aside. Refill saucepan ¾ full with fresh water and bring to a simmer over high.
2. Meanwhile, heat ½ teaspoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium. Add chorizo and sauté for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a paper towel–lined plate and set aside. Pour fat from pan and return to heat. Add remaining 1 tablespoon oil and shallots. Sauté for 2 minutes, then add boiled potatoes, toss, and cook for 3 minutes or until lightly browned. Season lightly with salt and pepper. Add 2 tablespoons broth and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 minutes more.
3. Crack each egg into a separate small cup or dish. Add white vinegar to simmering water, and remove pan from heat. Gently tip each egg into the saucepan, cover, and set aside for 4 minutes (5 minutes for firmer yolks).
4. While eggs are poaching, add Brussels sprouts and chorizo to skillet, toss, and add remaining 2 tablespoons broth and balsamic vinegar. Stir well to combine, and heat until warmed through.
5. Using a slotted spoon, transfer eggs to a paper towel–lined plate to dry. Divide hash among four serving plates. Top each with an egg. Sprinkle with additional salt and pepper if desired and serve immediately.
NUTRITION SCORE PER SERVING:
234 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated), 17g carbs, 14g protein, 7g fiber, 60mg calcium, 2mg iron, 286mg sodium