Move aside, PSL.
Summer's awesome and all, but there's something special about the transition to fall: Suddenly your runs feel faster, your wardrobe gets instantly chicer (sweaters and boots FTW), and you get to cook with all your favorite fall foods again. (Face it, a girl can only have so many popsicles and iced lattes before she's ready for warm, cinnamon-scented desserts that don't arrive on sticks. And, you know, real lattes.)
That's why I celebrated the season's oh-so-unofficial start back on September 1 with a recipe that combines the best of all things fall and food: apples, nutty spices, and steamy, fresh-out-of-the-oven warmth. The best part? This apple crisp recipe contains no refined sugar, which means you can feel just as good about eating it for breakfast (yes, breakfast) as you do carrying it out for dessert at your next dinner party.
Oh, and with a scoop of ice cream on top, it's even more Instagrammable than that PSL you were thinking of picking up.
Lighter Apple Crisp
Serves: 6 to 8
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 1 hour
For the topping
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
3 tablespoons all-natural maple syrup
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the filling
- 5 cups apple, skin intact, diced into small pieces
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a 9- or 10-inch square pan with parchment paper, then spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, flour, salt, and cinnamon. Add the syrup and butter, and stir to be sure all the dry ingredients are coated. In another medium bowl, stir together the apples, cornstarch, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice, and nutmeg until the apple slices are thoroughly coated.
- Add the filling to your pan, then generously sprinkle the topping on (you should no longer be able to see the filling). Bake at 350°F for 50 minutes, and let cool slightly before serving alongside a scoop of low-sugar ice cream. Enjoy!