- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: Less than 1 hour
- Prep: 10 minutes
- Cook: 32 minutes
- 524mg Sodium
- 45g Carbs
- 2.5g Fiber
- 18g Fat
- 5g Saturated Fat
- 28g Protein
Nothing tastes like summer quite like strawberries, so we added them to this savory beef burger recipe for a mega-boost of sweet and sensational flavor. Top it off with caramelized onions for a killer combination that will have everyone crediting you as the most creative chef of the season!
- For strawberry compote:
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons julienned onions
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup strawberries, quartered
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- For caramelized onions:
- 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 large onion, julienned
- 1 pinch kosher salt
- 1/2 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 tablespoon granulated sugar
- For burger:
- 16 ounces organic 90% lean beef, divided into four patties
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 green leaf lettuce leaves
- 4 Hawaiian rolls (or brioche buns), toasted
1. To make strawberry compote, heat balsamic vinegar in a small pan over medium-high. Cook until reduced by half, about 5 minutes; set aside. In a medium pot, sauté onions in olive oil until brown. Mix in reduced balsamic vinegar and sugar, stirring frequently until the granules are completely dissolved, about 5 to 7 minutes. Add strawberries and thyme sprig and cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until mixture thickens. Remove thyme, add salt, and set aside.
2. To make caramelized onions, sauté onion in olive oil in a medium pan over high heat. Add salt, balsamic vinegar, thyme, and sugar. Continue to sauté until onions are brown, about 7 to 8 minutes; set aside.
3. Season burgers with a pinch each salt and pepper. Brush a grill grate with olive oil and heat it to medium or medium-high. Place burgers on the grill, cover, and cook for 4 minutes. Flip and cook for an additional 4 minutes. For well-done burgers, cook for a few minutes longer on each side.
4. To build burgers, place a lettuce leaf and a patty on each roll bottom. Add a layer of caramelized onions, a spoonful of strawberry compote, and a roll top.