Bet you never thought a fruit salad could be this much fun.
On the Fourth, after all the barbecued kabobs, hot dogs, and burgers have been eaten, you're always left yearning for something to sweeten the deal. You can opt for a flag cake or a tray of cupcakes, of course, but if you're looking for a light dessert, this just might be the recipe you're looking for. This red, white, and "boozy" salad is as elegant-looking as it is refreshing. And the fact that it's got Grand Marnier in it (the sort of ingredient that leaves people ooh-ing and aah-ing), plus the addition of a simple apple "star" garnish, makes it seem a whole lot fancier than it really is.
Hosting a party with kids? You can always reserve the dressing and splash it onto the bowls belonging only to the adults. (Another must-have dessert? These Greek yogurt lemon bars that look like little American flags.)
There's no bread involved. There's no salt. There's no processed sugar, either. So what are you waiting for? Go ahead, get a little fruit-salad-tipsy.
Red, White, and Boozy Fruit Salad
Prep time: 10 minutes
Total time: 15 minutes
- 1/3 cup Grand Marnier
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 pint fresh strawberries, greens cut off, fruit cut in half lengthwise
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 5 large apples, any kind
- In a small bowl, mix the Grand Marnier, lime juice, and honey until well combined.
- Place the strawberries, blueberries, and raspberries together in a large bowl. Add the boozy mixture and toss to combine.
- Just before serving, peel and chop 3 of the apples into small cubes. Place these at the bottom of whatever individual containers you'll be serving the fruit salad in, then top with the berries.
- Peel the remaining apples, then cut them into 1/2-inch thick slices. Cut the slices into stars using cookie cutters, or carefully freehand the design using a knife.
- Top each portion of fruit salad with one star and serve immediately! If you won't be serving for a short while, be sure to sprinkle the apple stars with some fresh lemon juice to keep them from browning.