- Skill Level: Beginner
- Serves: 4
- Start to Finish: 1 hour
- 106mg Sodium
- 65g Carbs
- 18g Fiber
- 9g Fat
- 1g Saturated Fat
- 5g Protein
- 190mg Calcium
- 3mg Iron
The autumnal flavors of roasted butternut squash and apples meld to create a velvety, satisfying, and beautiful vegan soup. Cinnamon and candied pecans top it off with a delightful crunch and sweetness.
- For soup:
- 1 medium butternut squash, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 3 medium to large apples, sliced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- For candied pecans:
- 1 teaspoon vegan butter substitute
- 1/4 cup pecans
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place squash on a parchment-lined baking sheet cut-side-down and roast 10 minutes. Add apple slices to baking sheet and roast another 20 minutes.
2. While squash and apples roast, make candied pecans. Add all ingredients to a small sauté pan over low-medium heat. Cook for approximately 5 minutes until sugar begins to caramelize. Remove from heat, spread pecans on parchment, and allow to cool.
3. In a medium pot over medium heat, add oil and onion. Cook 3 to 5 minutes until onion is soft and translucent. Turn off heat.
4. When squash is done, scoop out flesh and add to the pot with roasted apples. Add water or broth, pepper, and salt to taste. Remove from cooktop. With an immersion blender, puree until smooth. (If using a blender, add mixture to blender in small batches, ensuring to vent the lid to allow steam to escape.) Return to cooktop and keep warm until ready to serve.
Recipe provided by Heather Piore of Sunday Morning Banana Pancakes