- Serves: 6
- Start to Finish: Less than 30 minutes
- 499mg Sodium
- 45g Carbs
- 5g Fiber
- 12g Fat
- 3g Saturated Fat
- 8g Sugars
- 9g Protein
The sweetness of caramelized pears works delightfully with the tangy tastes of onion, gorgonzola, and walnuts. By keeping the rest of the ingredients lean, you can feel free to splurge on rich and creamy Gorgonzola. Pair with a fresh, crisp green salad for an ideal weeknight meal.
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 2 ripe, firm Bartlett or Bosc pears, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 4 flatbreads (such as lavash or whole-wheat pitas)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 cup crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
- 1/2 cup loosely packed basil leaves, stacked, rolled, and thinly sliced crosswise
1. Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add pears and onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, 3 to 4 minutes until pears are golden brown and juicy. Turn off heat and set pan aside.
2. Heat a nonstick ridged cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat. Cook flatbreads on both sides until they have grill marks. Transfer to a platter and brush one side with remaining olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Top with pear-onion mixture, walnuts, Gorgonzola, and basil. Cut into thirds and serve warm.
Recipe adapted from Pretty Delicious by Candice Kumai, Rodale Books, 2011